View the Storage Introduction Video
Storage and Maintenance of Your Vehicle
1 | Turn In your Vehicle for Storage
If you are turning in a vehicle to be stored, you must satisfy all documentation and vehicle requirements listed on the Turn In page, in ADDITION to the following requirements:
a. Orders entitling you to storage
b. Storage Authorization Letter from the Transportation Office
- Fresh Battery: Ensure a fresh battery is installed, especially if current battery is more than two years old. Batteries are tested to ensure that readings are between 11.5 to 13.2 volts. If the battery reading is below 11.5 volts, the battery might have to be replaced (at members expense) while vehicle is in storage.
- Fluids: must be fresh and at the proper levels when the POV is turned in for storage
2 | Vehicle Maintenance in Storage
While you are away the IAL team will maintain and protect your vehicle as if it were our own.
All storage facilities are:
- Gated, fenced and well lit
- Security Monitored 24/7
A multi-point inspection check is performed on your vehicle every 30 days, which includes the following:
- Moving: the vehicle to prevent “flat spots” on tires
- Operating the vehicle for at least 10 minutes to check operation of all the systems to include:
- A/C and Heat
1. Air Filter Cleanliness
2. Tire wear and pressure
3. Fuel Level
4. Engine Coolant level
5. Oil level
6. Brakes and Brake Fluid level
8. Power steering fluid level
9. Lights and gauges
10. Belts and hoses
11. Wiper blades
12. Washer fluid level
13. Transmission fluid level
14. Battery charge/life
Vehicle Maintenance Status
To check the maintenance status of your vehicle go to the home page , then enter your shipping instruction number into POV Tracking box. The recent maintenance history and any non-standard maintenance performed will be displayed.
Authorization for Repair
Repairs necessary to maintain operability of the POV due to no fault of IAL shall be performed at the Member’s expense. Prior to conducting repairs at the Member’s expense, IAL will provide a repair estimate and obtain authorization from the COR and the Member. A second estimate shall be provided upon request from the Member or COR. IAL will notify the COR and Member of all repairs within one week of the repair(s) performed. IAL is not liable for any degradation in a vehicle’s condition due to the Member’s unwillingness to maintain the POV in storage.
3 | Releasing your Vehicle from Storage
Please allow for 14 calendar days plus transit time to deliver your vehicle to the authorized VPC. Contact CustomerService@ialpov.us for estimated transit times. Do not schedule an appointment to pick up your vehicle until you have received notification that your vehicle has arrived at the Destination VPC.
Permanent Change of Station (PCS)
When your assignment is ending (recommend no less than 30 days prior to PCS) and you are planning to return home or to your next duty station please:
- Download and complete the Storage Removal Form.
- Email the Storage Vehicle Removal Request Form and a complete set of your orders and all amendments to Storage@ialpov.us
- Upon receipt of your form we will send you a confirmation via e-mail with any additional instructions/requests for information.
Early Release Request
If you desire to have your vehicle released from storage earlier than your scheduled end of storage release date, you must retrieve it from the same VPC that you turned it in originally. If you would like to have it shipped to an alternate VPC, you must obtain approval and there may be extra fees assessed. Follow the steps below to retrieve your vehicle early from storage:
- Download and complete the Storage Removal Form.
- Email the completed form to Storage@ialpov.us.
- Upon receipt of your form, we will send you a confirmation receipt via email with any additional instructions or requests for information.
- If you do not receive confirmation within 5 business days, please resend the form to email@example.com and CustomerService@ialpov.us or call our toll-free number 855.389.9499
NOTE: Once your vehicle is removed from storage it may only be stored again at Government expense with new orders.
Please see the Defense Transportation Regulation, Part IV, Attachment K4 - Storing Your POV for additional information.
For additional questions please refer to the FAQ tab or contact CustomerService@ialpov.us
Your satisfaction is our number one goal. Thank you for your service to our country!
* PRIVACY ACT
SYSTEM OF RECORD
NOTICE: Defense Transportation Records, November 12, 2008, 73 FR 66872 AUTHORITY: Public Law 100-562, Imported Vehicle Safety Compliance Act of 1988; 5 U.S.C. 5726, Storage Expenses, Household Goods and Personal Effects; 10 U.S.C. 113, Secretary of Defense; 10 U.S.C. 3013, Secretary of the Army; 10 U.S.C. 5013, Secretary of the Navy; 10 U.S.C. 8013, Secretary of the Air Force, 19 U.S.C. 1498, Entry Under Regulations; 37 U.S.C. 406, Travel and Transportation Allowances, Dependents, Baggage and Household Effects; Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR); Joint Federal Travel Regulation (JTR), Volumes I and II, DoD Directive 4500.9E, Transportation and Traffic Management; DoD Directive 5158.4, United States Transportation Command ; DoD Instruction 4500.42, DoD Transportation Reservation and Ticketing Services; DoD Regulation 4140.1, DoD Materiel Management Regulation; DoD Regulation 4500.9, Defense Transportation Regulation; and DoD Regulation 4515.13-R, Air Transportation Eligibility and E.O. 9397 (SSN).
ROUTINE USE: To disclose to private sector commercial transportation service providers, who are under contract with the DoD for shipment/storage of personal property, to identify ownership, schedule pick up and delivery of personal property, to include privately owned vehicles, motorcycles, and house trailers/motor homes, Bill of Lading for services rendered, personal property counseling checklist. U.S. Customs and Border Protection Declaration for personal property shipments, re-weigh of personal property, shipment evaluation and inspection reports, receipt for unaccompanied baggage, mobile home inspection record, temporary commercial storage at Government expense, accessorial services-mobile home, report of contractor services, and claims for loss and damage. To General Service Administration and Defense Government Accounting Activities for processing government Bill of Lading. To disclose information to a Federal agency in order to manage and optimize DoD transportation resources.
DISCLOSURE: Voluntary, however, failure to provide all of the requested information may preclude the processing of vehicle shipment.